Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Changing Horses in Mid-stream

I started an Einstein coat (see an example here) from Sally Melville's book The Knit Stitch, using Bernat Soft Boucle on size 10 Addi Turbo 24" needles. 

Knitting in my sleep--quickly as it happens with Addi Turbo needles, I knit past the size where I needed to stop, measure, and add button holes.  Coulda woulda shoulda.

Since it's REALLY cold out right now, I had the Bright Idea to cast off what I had and give it to Mom for a nice warm shawl.  And it is really light and warm--100%acrylic, so it's very light and is machine washable.  She loves it--every time I stop by she has it draped over her shoulders.  Einstein can wait.

Cast on 75 stitches, then knit every row, making sure to just slip the first stitch of each row onto your needle instead of knitting.  When it's as long as you want it, cast off.  Mom's turned out about 80 inches long, about 24 inches wide.  I'll try and get a picture of it posted too.  Mom probably won't let me post a picture of her wearing it, though.  She's never aspired to be a knitwear model on the internet.

Depending on what size you'd like, it will take 2-3 skeins.

Happy knitting & get some sleep!~

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?